Hawaiian Fishing Journal

03 Jan 98 - I went out to the S buoy on Saturday. I went to the harbor to start up my engine on Thursday and just check everything out. It wouldn't start. I had to go get a new battery. The old one was from 1993. The weather report said winds 10-15 and seas 2-4. I wanted to get an early start and launch while it was still dark. Dave Novak went with me. We left the marina at 0500. It was still really dark. When I rounded the break wall there were some good and choppy waves. I figured it was just a high surf and would calm down after I got away from the immediate shore area (NOT!). I was out away from the shore and still the waves were 4 foot and choppy. I started to get this feeling that I shouldn't have watched the movie Titanic just the day before! It was rough especially since I couldn't see the waves coming and didn't know if and when the borg (rogue) wave would come. Dave must have been worried since it was his first trip out with me. We blindly followed the GPS indications like a ghostbuster looking for super natural activities. We saw another boat's light directly in the course that laid ahead. As we got closer a dimmer flashing light appeared. It was the S buoy. We pulled directly up to it and shut down the motor. It was still dark. Too dark to be fumbling around in the boat trying to discombobulate a multi-hooked fly fishing contraption. So we just waited for some more daylight. The wind was at least 15 knots and it was coming from the west. Usually we have easterly trades and the mountains provide some protection, not today. After about 10 minutes the buoy was getting harder to see so I motored back up to it. Still too dark. I did this two more times and then it was light enough. Looking down and digging into my tackle box for the right weight was a dizzy experience in these waves. Of course I had to decide what size weight to use since the water was rough and it took a little longer than it should have. Now with rod and line ready I instructed Dave on how to jig this thing to catch the bait fish. Sure enough after the line dropped down a hundred feet and was jigged maybe two feet back up and a bite was on. The bait fish were really biting. I told Dave that my boat's record for the most fish caught on a six hook rig was five fish. Then he had a good bend in his rod but wasn't reeling in yet. He said he was waiting for rig to get full first. That was good thinking as his bend kept getting bigger. When he pulled it up I counted the fish 1,2,3,4,5... no there wasn't a sixth fish. But wait... after a closer examination he did beat the record. The new record is five fish and a lip! As it got lighter out the bait fish stop biting completely. So it was time to start trolling the live bait. I rigged one up and held the line in my hand with a big loop of slack line behind the boat. Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Checked the bait... Nothing ... Nothing... Nothing... Checked the bait... Replaced the bait...(dead) Nothing... Nothing.... Nothing... The wind was now about 20 knots, seas still 4 feet but getting frothy. It was time to go in. Trolled a Christmas present behind us on the way back, no bites. Still, it was good to be out on the water. 

30 May 98 - Wow, has it been that long since I had my boat out? This was due to poor weather on the weekends and a busy work schedule. I have put in several shore dives though.  This day Dave and I went out to the S and R buoys in an attempt to have a jerk of any size on the line.  There was no action to be seen though.  No birds, no bait fish around, and no strikes. We headed towards shore to do some spearfishing.  We turned on the fish finder to locate some fish and structure. This worked good as Dave speared two reef fish at the first spot we tried.  Then I decided to try locating the fish another way.  Using a ski rope we pulled a diver behind the boat and scanned the bottom with our own eyes.  Instead of the fish alarm notifying the boat driver of fish below the diver just let go of the rope and you would see his dive fins disappear as they sunk below the surface.  This turned out to be the method of locating more and bigger fish to hunt.  We took turns and did this for a couple of hours until we were both too tired to continue.  We took back 12 reef fish to be several dinners for us and our families. 

6 Jun 98 - We launched the boat at the Hickam Harbor boat ramp.  We went to the outside of the airport runway.  There's a good reef there but this day the water was murky.  We looked across to the other side of the mouth of Pearl Harbor.  There were some waves breaking over a reef so there should be some fish in the deeper water just before the break.  We found a nice finger of reef that was holding some fish with clear water.  Dave went in first while I watched for his signals from the boat.  A thumbs up meant he had speared a fish for me to come pick up and put on ice.  Three times he gave the signal with some nice fish.  Then we traded places and I dove on the same reef.  He had speared a parrot fish about two pounds so naturally I had to do better.  It took me awhile but I didn't want to spear anything smaller than his.  Finally I found a nice sized Uhu, took aim and let the shaft go. The spear went right in the top of the tail and came out straight through the bottom.  The fish barely even struggled, so I just swam up to the top and gave Dave the signal. He pulled over to me, shut down the engine and took the fish.  It was about four pounds.  Dave said,"You just had to find one bigger didn't you!"  I laughed through my snorkel as swam away from the boat to get ready to  hunt some more.  I ended up spearing only one more fish and Dave ended up with a total of 6.  He's getting better at this, he had more fish but I had the largest one. It wont be long before he beats me at both, keep it up Dave!